Monday, 4 August 2014

World Orienteering Championships


It’s taken me a while to write this blog post but I’ve still not got anything really insightful to say. I knew I wasn’t running as fast as I wanted to be, I know the reasons, I know what I’m going to change for next year. But the World Championships was about getting the best out of the legs I had and actually I wasn’t too far off that.

I probably did max out in the individual sprint. I picked almost every route correctly, I kept hesitations to a minimum and 12th place was the result I got. I’m not going to lie - the position wasn’t what has got me out the door this winter but it had threatened to be a lot worse as I’d been making bizarre mistakes in every race and training session in the lead up.

Photo: worldofo.com and athlete profile here

But there were a lot of things about that sprint final day that put things into perspective. Running in the World Championships final around the streets of Venice was such a privilege and it was nice to be able to realise that at the time. It really felt special and looking back at the photos of that run in does give me that goosebump feeling again.


The other awesome thing was that my family came out to watch the race. Some of them haven’t been to an orienteering event before and it made me proud of our sport as they got really into it. It was also cool to see my Dad at the finish line who has been working in Ukraine since March. His near-daily emails have certainly put my ups and downs during this time into perspective. I’ll leave the politics to people like him but it was especially nice to see Nadiya Volynska make it onto the podium.

Amazing GB support every day despite the rain.
Photo: Dave Rollins
The sprint relay was the new one and we didn’t really know how it was going to go. The only thing we knew was four clean runs was essential. Gaffling had the potential to hide mistakes or exaggerate them so we just knew that as a team we needed to get round our legs cleanly and it would even out in the end. It was really satisfying to do that and we were dead chuffed to end up on the non-existent podium. However, I think if we are honest we’d probably all hoped that that performance might land us a little higher than 6th. Maybe we overestimated ourselves or underestimated others, or maybe we lacked something physically in the recovery from the sprint final or negotiating the treacherously slippy streets. 

Four clean runs! Four soaked athletes.
Photo: Dave Rollins
The relay was my final race of the week but first time in the team. I have really mixed feelings about the race. I knew my capabilities in the terrain, I knew that coming back in the lead pack was ambitious. I said I would run sensible and come back in that chasing group and if you’re generous, that’s what I did. Parts of my performance were really not sensible, I struggled with the relocating bit but I was pleased not to lose it completely. I pulled through in the last part of the course, helped by big hills, Emily Kemp and others losing it completely. So while it may not have been a great individual race, we were still firmly in the fight as I changed over in the 7-9th pack. Thanks to my teammates Claire Ward and Cat Taylor we managed another non-podium 6th place – the best GB women’s WOC relay result in 10 years.

First experience of WOC first leg.
Photo: Attackpoint.org

So am I happy with the season? I have to be to some extent. Measured against my own aims, I did manage to improve my forest orienteering. Time lost in mistakes has definitely reduced and I have even managed some decent international results. It’s hardly rocket science to attribute this to more hours in the forest in the winter/spring and I have to thank Silva for their support providing me with a headtorch that has opened up the world of night orienteering to me again! Although my WOC sprint result was disappointing, it was one of the best technical races I’ve run internationally. Ultimately I was just a bit too greedy this year, wanting success in forest and sprint orienteering, long and short hill races and all the local road and cross country races I like to do. And I was also a bit stupid, I didn’t deal well with things going wrong. But that’s all part of it and as bad years go I’ve been pretty lucky.

So, another WOC, another orienteering season done and the motivation is high. Next stop Inverness 2015*.

*via a few high mountains.

The first high mountain visited at 7am before the flight home. Monte Cornetto.

No comments:

Post a Comment