Monday, 16 June 2014

Finland: forests and fences


Another week, another country. I swapped the Italian mountains for Finnish lakes, extended the hours of sunlight and trebled the number of midges. No less beautiful though - I will remember my drive back from Jukola at 2am with a pink sky and mist steaming off the lakes for a long time.

Running at a more civilised time in the morning than Jukola requires

Anyway, first up was the World Cup round in Imatra on the Russian border. Sprint qualification, final and then sprint relay. My performances in all three sprints were pretty similar: running speed was much better than I expected but I made a mistake about half way through. In qualification this involved running from 6 to 8 and so making the last part of the course a bit of a nervy game. Thankfully I scraped through and ultimately that's all you need to do in qualification.

The final was bonkers despite my preparations. I had expected fences and a really challenging course, however I'm not sure I could ever have imagined using fences to completely change the area like that. I'm also not sure whether I liked it or not and I doubt it matters whether I did.

Link to all the other maps here

But a few thoughts have materialised since the race on the whole fence issue:

- Firstly, the barriers were placed in unnatural places. When you see a road big enough for cars on the map, it isn't logical to have a barrier blocking it. It is really hard to pick out routes because the eye is naturally drawn to these features and in some cases, doesn't see it at all.

- Secondly, and sort of leading on from above, it felt lucky to some extent when you found the/a route. Because you could not predict where blocks would be, it felt a bit random as to whether the route you tried to spot had a barrier at the end or not.

- Thirdly, comparing route choices and picking the best was rarely possible for me. I found I had taken so much time to find a route that finding a second to compare with wasn't worth it. And on the occasions when I could see two options (often the shorter legs) it felt hard to compare lengths because there were so many unnatural s-shaped bends round fences.

Apparently they used 800m of fences! But not all were there to trick us - a really clever use
of fences was to extend corners on buildings to prevent crashes.
Photos taken from the very informative event twitter feed.

I fully appreciate that better orienteers than me will have been able to cope and this may actually be a list of the ways in which my orienteering technique isn't good enough. None of the points above are complaints, more observations on how I tried to deal with the courses set. I should also mention how impressive it was that the organisers pulled it all off so well. I can't imagine the manpower that these races must have taken.

The sprint relay was a fun experience and wildly different to the practice one we did 2 weeks ago in Italy. Not only were there fences but lots more teams capable of hanging with the pace. First leg didn't split up much at all and I came back in the middle of the chasing pack. My mistake this time was losing my place and risking it instead of checking. I had to work hard through the easier park section of the course to pull back through. My teammates did a better job as usual (Murray, Scott and Cat) and we finished 4th nation.

So I've got a bit of work to do before WOC in three weeks time but if I can get rid of this mistake that is creeping back into my sprinting then things are looking more promising than I thought they would.

The trip didn't stop there, the next stop was Kuopio where I flew into last year before WOC and I never thought I'd see again. It was Jukola time and for me this became mainly about getting experience on first leg of a relay as our team succumbed to various things including a mispunch. I was quite nervous about the terrain beforehand as I couldn't get much to fit on the training map the day before and it was rough physically. I went out to focus completely on my own race and see where that landed up rather than aim to be up in the top pack and hang on.


video


Particularly considering my uncertainties I am dead chuffed with my run. I really can't find much I would change with it. There were 2 controls in particular where I had to go a different way to those around me and both times I hit the control accurately. I'm proud of that as it takes some confidence to do so! I finished a minute down on the lead after being nearly 3 down at one point, although that seems to be mainly gaffling differences.

Magical sunset/rise over the military tents

I hope that this mistake free run can get me back on the right track in my sprinting as well. I've got this buzzing feeling that I've not had for a while though that could equally be sleep deprivation.

1 comment:

  1. I expected but I made a mistake about half way through. In qualification this involved running from 6 to 8 and so making the last part of the course a bit of a nervy game. http://commercialfencetampa.com/

    ReplyDelete