Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Dolomites Sky Race - a weekend in photos


Barely 12 hours after my delayed luggage returned from Finland I found myself back at the airport on the way for the European SkyRunning Championships in the Dolomites, Italy. I'm living the dream at the minute!

There were two races on the menu - the vertical km on Friday and the sky race on Sunday and as always, both pushing my physical limits. Sadly, I wasn't on great form and struggled in the vertical km (my preferred discipline) and never really felt like I was 'racing' the sky race. But the mountains are a great place for thinking everything through and putting things in perspective. I was able to look back at my season so far with ticks against all my ambitious goals, hardly able to recall a race that I haven't been happy with. But that never lasts and thankfully I was in a beautiful part of the world taking part in races that should be on every runners to-do list and I was able to enjoy the whole adventure all the same.

The only way to do the races justice is to include lots of photos so here is a large selection mainly from Ian Corless (Talk Ultra - see website for more photos, race reports and interviews).

Vertical KM - 2.5km, 1000m climb 

Team Arc'teryx looking quite happy pre-race.

Ian Corless Talk Ultra

The start.

Ian Corless Talk Ultra

Up through the forest, to the gap between the rocks and on up the slope to the left

Ian Corless Talk Ultra

The girls' start. I didn't stay at the front for long!

Ian Corless Talk Ultra

On the way up

Ian Corless Talk Ultra

At the gap between the rocks - don't get fooled by the arch, it's not the finish yet!

Ian Corless Talk Ultra

On the final few metres

Picture from Florian Reichert (@trailflowww)

My Arc'teryx team mates Didier Zago and Florian Reichert having a 'sprint' finish

Photo: adventure.net


The cross at the top of the hill, just after the finish

Ian Corless Talk Ultra


A little bit muddy after having my head so close to the ground

Ian Corless Talk Ultra


Enjoying the view with team-mate Florian afterwards - it was worth it!

Ian Corless Talk Ultra
Ian Corless race report here, more of his images here, Youtube video here.



The SkyRace - 22km, 1750m climb (up to highest point at 3152m)

The start was in the town of Canazei

Official race photo

We then climbed 800m in 6km on a wide ski piste to Passo Pordoi

Official race photo

From here, the steep bit 'began' up through the gap in the skyline to the Forcella Pordoi

Photo: adventure.net
I'm actually in this photo - in the orange about second in line!

Scree Zigzags up to the Forcella

Photo: adventure.net

There was still a lot of snow in the gap so they built a tunnel. A photo from our reccie the day before.



With very little oxygen, it was a case of getting through the snow and rock up to the summit

Official race photo

Ian Corless Talk Ultra


My Arc'teryx team-mate Nicola Golinelli on the more technical section

Ian Corless Talk Ultra


And then the summit

Photo: adventure.net

It was a bit snowy on the way down - I opted to slide a lot of it, Kilian fared slightly better

Official race photo


It then got rocky (and steep)

Photo: adventure.net

Before finishing back in Canazei. 
Nice work Team Arc'teryx - thank you so much for the chance to do this. Fantastic.



Ian Corless race report here, more images here, you tube video here.

1 comment:

  1. You must come and train with us in Ramsau am Dachstein sometime! I've got a great vertical for you here:).
    Thea

    ReplyDelete