Wednesday, 19 September 2012

A cycling trip to Applecross

Last weekend I went up to Applecross with the intention of running the low-key but must-do race The Applecross Duathlon. Sadly, I picked up a small calf strain on the Thursday before the race and so I decided to be sensible and not run. However, I still made the trip and got in lots of miles on the mountain bike...


The Bealach Na Ba is the road to Applecross, and the greatest ascent road climb in the UK. 


It's also a bit intimidating.


From all directions!


It got a bit hairy as I got into the cloud at the top.


It had been windy enough at sea level!


At the top there was a view to Skye - but of course I couldn't see it because of the weather. This photo was taken the next day when I thought I'd climb it from the other direction.


Descent to Applecross was just incredible, whatever the weather. Crosswinds. Wilderness. Atmospheric.


This really was the weather in Applecross on the first day. Incredible to pop out into a bay of sunshine after such cloud. I continued cycling down the coast and saw a sea eagle. Too good to be true.

2 comments:

  1. hi tess great pics of belach. its an amazing climb & fabulous descent. i did it too many years ago on a tourer with panniers & slept open air on the peninsula north of applecross. Chris Poole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris. Wow bet that was amazing. There are some great cycling roads (and hills for running) up there. Hope all well with you and Karen. Tess

    ReplyDelete