Monday, 18 April 2011

British Sprints and Middle

I'm a bit late with updating this but nearly 10 days ago we had the next round of UK Cup races in Brighton. The British Sprint Champs were at the University of Sussex on the Saturday. This was especially important as it was a selection race for the World Champs in France and I'm very keen to run the sprint distance.

Credit: Rob Lines
The day started well with a solid performance in the heats. I won by around 15 seconds with no major mistakes. I lost a bit of time on my number 9, marked as a fence corner but no indication if top or bottom of steps. Luckily it didn't cost anyone qualification.

The final went fine aswell, nothing major to report. I was a bit rushed at the beginning when I should have been calmer. I missed overall about 3x10 seconds and was about 30 seconds down on the winner Hollie Orr. However, looking at splits it looks like I was fractionally slower than her the whole way round particularly on the shorter legs. I ended up with a bronze medal which I should be very happy with, but I was left wanting more. My legs felt very flat (I don't think I did my "taper" well enough) and I didn't feel sharp at all. Still, I couldn't think of a better person to win than Hollie and was also very happy for Murray who won the mens.

Credit: Rob Lines
Sunday was the middle distance at Worth Lodge near Crawley. I had prepared well for this, lots of map studying and I'd run in next door areas. I think this made me over confident. Maybe I went out a bit hard, but I just messed up on the way to number 4. I don't think it was a lack of concentration, maybe just going to fast for the head. This lost a load of time and I was never in it from there. I still tried to fight hard and put in some fast splits, but I never got any flow and continued with some small and slightly larger misses. I ended up far too far down on Claire Ward who won. I was really disappointed to end the weekend like this as I thought I had grown out of doing silly races like that this season. Great to see Claire on top of the podium - lots of us fighting for medals, and it's not always the familiar names.

No comments:

Post a Comment